In September 2013 we held a workshop to gather residents' initial views on what they felt the were the issues facing the Parish. This workshop took as a starting posiition that the BT development would go ahead.
The workshop agreed on a draft vision statement for the parish which would act as a general direction for the work of the project team.
A Vision for the Parish of Martlesham
Of all Suffolk's parishes, Martlesham is amongst the largest, and is almost certainly the most varied. It comprises -
The vision for Martlesham has been written against the above background.
As Martlesham evolves and grows it will preserve the best of what already exists and harmoniously incorporate the new with the result that the whole will be better than the sum of its parts.
It will be a community which will -
• contain a variety of well designed housing types for sale or rent to meet the needs of residents of all ages, whether employed or retired, and suiting varied domestic circumstances
• provide a modern infrastructure and diverse, adaptable accommodation to encourage the creation and success of businesses of all sizes including high tech and skilled jobs, with low rental starter units available to encourage local people to start businesses here
• Build on its strengths as a welcoming, safe and peaceful place to live with a strong sense of community with a thriving society of neighbours, groups, and organisations providing support and facilities for all residents
• respect and protect the natural environment and the open spaces between the built up areas
• contain a diverse range of residential, community, leisure, employment and retail areas, linked by safe walking, cycling and public transport links, with these links extending to the nearby open countryside and beyond